Fire Marshal Inspections
All phases of construction shall be inspected with regards to the International Fire Code, the International Building Code, and Utah State Fire Marshal's Laws, Rules, and Regulations.
Please contact the Fire Marshal's office at 435-797-1979 to schedule an inspection. Be prepared to allow a 48 hour advanced notice for requested inspections.
- THRUST BLOCKS for fire mains require a visual inspection and shall be installed per NFPA 13 section A.10.8.2.
- FIRE MAINS Fire mains shall be laid in 6 inches of pea gravel, and buried to a depth of 5 1/2 feet to the top of the pipe. Joints shall be wrapped in visqueen, and all of these items shall require a visual inspection. After backfilling, a hydrostatic test is required, followed by flushing the fire main. A contractor's material and test certification for underground piping shall also be submitted at this time.
- FLUSH TEST Fire mains shall be flushed at a minimum of 10 ft/second, and shall be witnessed by the Fire Marshal's office.
- HYDROSTATIC TESTS All fire mains and sprinkler pipe systems shall be hydrostatically tested to 200 lbs. for 2 hours, and witnessed by the Fire Marshal's office.
- FIRE ALARM CONDUIT All fire alarm conduits shall be visually inspected by the Fire Marshal's office, prior to being concealed by sheetrock or other construction material.
- FIRE SPRINKLER PIPE All fire sprinkler piping shall be visually inspected by the Fire Marshal's office prior to being concealed by sheetrock or other construction material.
- GENERAL ACCEPTANCE TESTS All acceptance tests, including sprinkler systems, fire alarm systems, emergency back up generators, emergency egress lighting, exit lighting, and all other life/safety items shall be inspected by the Fire Marshal's office. Click here to view the USU Fire Marshal's Checklist of Final Inspections.