Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions 

How safe is the Utah State University campus?

Although crime does occur on our campus, when compared to similar institutions, Utah State University has a very low crime rate.You may view the USU Police Department's Annual Reports online. You can reduce your chances of becoming a victim of a crime by following the our Crime Prevention Tips.

What should I do if I'm a victim of a crime?

If it is an emergency or a crime is in progress, call 9-1-1. For all non-emergency calls, call the USU Police Department at (435) 797-1939 to make a report. Make the call as soon as possible after discovering the crime.

I am studying late, is there a way I can get an safety escort to my car or apartment on campus?

Yes, we offer a free safety escort service to and from parking lots and buildings on campus. The escort is available to anyone 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Call (435) 797-1939 for more information.

What authority does USU Police have?

Utah State University police officers are given peace officer authority by state statute. They attend the same academy and have the same authority as any police officer in the state.

I lost some personal property on campus. Is there a lost and found?

USU Police receives lost and found items on a regular basis, including from the Aggie Shuttle. You may come in or call (435) 797-1939 anytime to check if your property was turned in. Not all found items are turned in to us. Each building will generally have its own lost and found. We suggest checking with staff and custodial services in the building where you may have lost your property.

I need to be let into a building or room after hours. Who do I call?

During regular weekday business hours (Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.), call Facilities Customer Service at (435) 797-3535. After hours, on weekends, or on holidays, you may call police disbatch at (435) 797-1939. USU Police CANNOT give authorization to be in or remain in a building or classroom after hours. You must get prior authorization from the appropriate department head, who must fax a memo to (435) 797-3756. Picture ID is required at the time of the let-in.

I locked my keys in my car. What should I do?

USU Police offers a free service to get you into your car if you have locked your keys inside: call (435) 797-1939. We also provide jump starts when your car battery dies. Lock-outs and jump starts can only be done on campus property.

I need to pick up keys. Where do I go?

The Key Office is located at the Facilities building. Call (435) 797-3535 for more information.

I need to get a background check. How do I do that?

USU Police does not provide background checks, but we do provide fringerprinting services associated with background checks. For more information, visit the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification website.



Non-Emergency: Dial (435) 797-1939

USU Code Blue Alerts

USU Code Blue

Safety Statistics

Reach Out

Report a Crime Online

Request a Public Record

CSA Report