Off-Duty Security Work Policy
UTAH STATE UNIVERSITY POLICE DEPARTMENT
OFF-DUTY EMPLOYMENT AS SECURITY OFFICER POLICY
Utah State University Police Officers may engage in employment as a private security officer under the following conditions:
- Before accepting employment as a private security officer, the officer must complete an "Off Duty Employment as a Private Security Officer Approval" form which must be signed by the chief providing authorization for the employment.The signed form shall be placed in the officer's personnel file.
- Before beginning work for a private security firm the employing entity must complete a "Release, Waiver, and Hold Harmless Agreement" form. The form must include a statement that the private security firm complies with state and federal income reporting and withholding requirements regarding the officer's wages. The completed form shall be submitted to the chief and placed in the officer's personnel file.
- While working as a private security officer, the officer shall not wear any department issued uniform or use department issued equipment, including the officer's department issued firearm unless approved by the chief.
- If while working as a security officer the officer becomes involved in a situation requiring law enforcement the officer shall call the law enforcement agency in the jurisdiction in which s/he is working.
- In exigent circumstances the officer working as a security officer may assume his/her role as a police officer providing that the law enforcement agency in which s/he is working in is notified as soon as is practicable. The USU Police Department on-call supervisor shall also be notified as soon as possible following the incident. The officer shall complete a USU Police Department incident report upon returning to regular duty.